Sunday, October 5, 2014

Competition may be hazardous to your health...

I am fiercely competitive and of two minds as to whether or not I'm anxious to have this trait show up in my child. For it's advantages, look no further than Tom Brady, this week. After a Monday Night Performance that I called "hot garbage in a dumpster fire" in an email to a co-worker, this week's snapping of the Bengel's win streak was worth a watch.

But that's not what struck me as I watched them games this afternoon. What struck me where my reactions to the members of my fantasy team with each dropped pass or missed opportunity.  At one point, I remember calling Calvin Johnson a "useless, apathetic sack of shit".  Imagine how bad everything else has to be, since I'm not telling you.  

This is the less than stellar side of competition.  Or one of them.  The sore loser...the worse winner.  We get accused of this A LOT in Seattle.  I think the loose recipe for this idea is the aloofness of the "Seattle Freeze" with 2 Cups of us adoring Richard Sherman despite his loud mouth and a dash of us just repeating "All about that action, Boss" when asked about Lynch.  

It's a hard way to live, honestly...when you're arrogant, the world is your enemy.  Everyone wants to see you fail or they want to ride your coattails.  When you're arrogant, you'd better make sure there isn't a moment where everything isn't perfect or you'll be pounced on, devoured.  

But you also have an opportunity.  A voice.  People will follow arrogance, will listen to what it has to say.  Will consider it, for a fraction of a second, before they either decides to keep listening or dismiss it but the point is WHEN YOU ARE ARROGANT you will get that half second consideration more often than someone who isn't.  As Sherman says "Some people are humble and humble people lose a lot of the time." 

I don't think Grey's like me.  At least...not this way. He's determined, sure, but he's spent far too much time trying to keep up with his older, smaller, MUCH faster best friend to be unaware of the limits his larger frame give him.   He's okay, not being first. 

And a very large part of me is relieved..

No comments:

Post a Comment