Saturday, October 4, 2014

The return of Pinktober

Tomorrow is the first Sunday in October. 

The return of the wave upon wave of Pink that the NFL uses to assure 45% of it's fans that, despite harboring wife and child beaters, they really are on their side and value them.  I feel like my loathing for pink jerseys falls in here, a little, too.  I find them insulting and I have yet to talk to any woman wearing one who knows the difference between a Corner Back and a Quarterback.  

Football is a game of legacy and tradition.  I may have only put on the facepaint a few years ago, but I learn fast--when you love the laundry, you LOVE the laundry.  You know the stories and you PROUDLY where the colors, no matter what.  Steelers Yellow? Broncoes Orange? Do you think these colors are easy to wear? No.  But true fans find a way and they make it look amazing because THAT'S PART OF THE SACRIFICE, TOO.  Pink Jerseys and Pinktober feel like a pat on the head.  A "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it" in the form of a color.   

I realize October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  But did you know Breast Cancer isn't even the deadliest form of cancer to females, according to the CDC?  Cancer isn't even the biggest health risk facing women--Heart Disease is.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not invalidating how devestating and far reaching Breast Cancer is.  

But you know what else October is? Domestic Violence awareness month.  And since this is actually an issue for the NFL, I feel like it would have been appropriate to at least share the vaunted pedestal of NFL fundraising backing.  

Luckily, my QB stepped up to the plate with a brand new interview and charity...more on that tomorrow... 

No comments:

Post a Comment